When I first tried a slice of carrot and zucchini cake at work, made by a wonderful colleague of mine, my tastebuds landed instantly in heaven! Having tried just a plain carrot cake before and thinking that it must be semi-healthy as it has carrots in it right? Now trying the same just with more vegetables in it couldn’t make it any better! After finding a simple recipe for this devine carrot and zucchini cake I decided to embark on this wonderful baking experience.
Due to my now health obsession, I have tweaked the ingredients to include all clean eating and nutritious ingredients. Even the icing/frosting is healthy, and mind you, mind-blowingly (if that’s a word) amazing! Let’s begin this wonderful baking journey!
TOTAL FUN TIME: 30 mins not including refrigeration time
- 2 cups wholemeal flour
- 2 cups coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon himalayan salt
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 2 teaspoons of baking soda
- 3/4 cup organic coconut oil
- 4 free range eggs
- 1 teaspoon of organic vanilla essence
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup organic coconut milk
- 1 cup agave nectar or honey
- pinch Himalayan salt
- 5 teaspoons arrowroot powder
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1.5 cups organic coconut oil
- Pre-heat oven at 350 degrees.
- Combine all the dry ingredients then mix in the oil, eggs and vanilla until well blended.
- Mix in the zucchini and carrots.
- Pour into greased pan (15″ x 10″ is preferable).
- Place in the over for 35-40 minutes.
- Cool, then top with coconut frosting!
- Mix and stir all the ingredients in a consistent texture.
- Refrigerate for about 45 minutes then pour over the cake.
- Slice into preferred squares or rectangles and let your taste buds indulge!
Happy Clean Eating!
Spreading love & happiness, Soph xox